Send Us A Message
Farmington Hills, MI Business Law Firm
Maybe you just started your business and are ready to take on the world. You have big plans, and you need to ensure everything is set up correctly.
Perhaps you have been in business for a while, but you are ready to expand, sell, or make some changes. You need to be sure that you are doing everything by the book.
Unfortunately, the business world can be complicated. There are a lot of rules and regulations you need to follow. If you don’t, you could end up in hot water. You could even lose your business entirely. This is why it is so important to have a good business lawyer on your side.
Murphy Law Firm PLC is a top-rated business and commercial law firm in the Farmington Hills, MI, area. Our lead attorney, Sean Murphy, is a highly experienced and skilled business lawyer. He has helped countless clients with their businesses, and he can help you too.
Contact us today to schedule a consultation. We look forward to helping you with all of your business needs.
Business Law Services in Farmington Hills, MI
We represent businesses of all sizes in a wide range of industries. No matter what type of business you run, we can help you. We offer the following business law services:
- Entity formation: We can help you set up your business as a sole proprietorship, partnership, limited liability company (LLC), or corporation. We will make sure that everything is done correctly and that you understand the strengths and weaknesses of each type of business entity.
- Contract drafting and review: We will draft contracts for you or review the contracts you have been given. We will make sure that the contracts are fair to you and that they protect your interests.
- Business transactions: We can assist with a wide range of business transactions, including the purchase or sale of a business, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and more.
- Employment law: Labor laws are often complicated. We can help you with everything from drafting employment contracts to handling employee disputes.
- Business litigation: Sometimes, disputes arise in business. If you are involved in a lawsuit, we can represent you. We have experience with breach of contract cases, shareholder disputes, non-compete agreements, and more.
- Mergers and acquisitions: We can help you with all aspects of buying or selling a business, including due diligence, negotiation, and contract drafting.
- Franchise law: We can assist with all aspects of starting or buying a franchise, including franchise disclosure documents, franchise agreements, and more.
- Commercial real estate: We can help with all aspects of commercial real estate transactions, including lease drafting and negotiation, purchase and sale agreements, and more.
These are just some of the business law services that we offer. If you don’t see what you are looking for listed here, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us to inquire about it. We would be happy to help you in any way that we can.
Understanding Business Law in Michigan
Business law is a broad term that encompasses all of the legal rules and regulations that apply to businesses. These laws cover everything from setting up your business to running it daily. There are federal business laws, state business laws, and even local business ordinances that you need to be aware.
Some of the most important business laws that you should know about include employment law, contracts, intellectual property, and taxes.
Federal and state employment law requires businesses to treat their employees fairly. This includes things like paying them a fair wage, providing them with safe working conditions, and not discriminating against them.
Contract law governs the agreements businesses make with other businesses and their customers. These contracts can be oral or written, but they must meet certain legal requirements to be enforceable.
Intellectual property law protects the ideas and creations of businesses. This includes things like trademarks, copyrights, and patents. If you have something that you want to protect, you need to make sure that you understand intellectual property law.
Taxes are another important area of business law. There are federal, state, and local taxes that businesses need to pay. You need to make sure that you are familiar with the tax laws that apply to your business, so you can properly plan for and pay your taxes.
This is just a brief overview of some of the most important areas of business law. If you are starting or running a business, it is essential that you have a basic understanding of the legal rules and regulations that apply to businesses. You should also consult with an experienced business law attorney to ensure that you comply with all the laws that apply to your business.
Representing Employers and Employees in Litigated Disputes
Our law firm has a long history of representing employers and employees in all types of workplace disputes. We understand the laws that apply to employment relationships and we know how to argue these cases in court.
Some of the most common types of employment litigation cases that we handle include:
- Wage and hour disputes: We regularly represent employees who have been shorted on their wages or who have been required to work overtime without being properly compensated.
- Wrongful termination: Including cases involving breach of contract, discrimination, and more.
- Sexual harassment: We have represented both employees who have been harassed and employers who have been accused of harassment.
- Workplace discrimination: We have experience handling cases involving all types of discrimination, including race, gender, age, religion, and more.
- Retaliation: If you have been retaliated against at work for reporting discrimination or harassment, we can help.
- Family and medical leave: We can help you if you have been denied leave or if you have been retaliated against for taking leave.
- Employee benefits: We can help you if you have been denied benefits or if you have been retaliated against for taking advantage of your benefits.
If you have been the victim of any type of workplace discrimination or harassment, we can help you hold your employer accountable. We understand the laws and we know how to build a strong case.
Our employment law services for businesses include:
- Drafting and reviewing employment contracts
- Negotiating severance agreements
- Drafting policies and procedures and employee handbooks
- Training employees and managers on employment law compliance
- Defending businesses against lawsuits and administrative claims
We tailor our services to meet the specific needs of each business that we represent. We understand that every business is different, and we will work with you to develop a legal strategy that meets your unique needs.
Protecting Your Business with Contracts
One of the most important aspects of running a successful business is having strong contracts in place. Contracts are legally binding agreements between two or more parties and can be used for various purposes. For example, you might have a contract with your employees, customers, suppliers, or contractors.
A well-written contract can help you avoid many legal problems down the road. It can also help you resolve disputes more quickly and efficiently if they do arise.
At the Murphy Law Firm, we have extensive experience drafting, reviewing, and negotiating all types of contracts. We can assist you with everything from employment contracts to supplier agreements. We will ensure that your interests are protected and that you get the best possible deal.
Business Succession Planning
Another important aspect of running a successful business is succession planning. This is the process of determining who will take over your business when you retire or no longer can.
Succession planning is a complex process, and there are a lot of different factors that you need to take into account. These include:
- The size of your business
- The structure of your business
- Your family situation
- Your financial situation
- Your retirement plans
- Your health
- The laws that apply to your business
With so many factors to consider, it is important to get professional help when succession planning. The Murphy Law Firm can assist you with every aspect of the process, and we will ensure your interests are protected.
We Are Trusted Local Professionals in Business Law
Farmington Hills, MI, boasts a long and proud history as a hub of business activity in Southeastern Michigan. The city is home to many different types of businesses, from small family-owned businesses to large corporations.
We are proud to be a part of this vibrant business community, and we are dedicated to helping our clients succeed. We have been providing legal services to businesses in Farmington Hills and the surrounding areas for years, and we have a reputation for being trusted local professionals.
Some of our most popular clients include industrial and commercial businesses, automotive suppliers, small businesses, and start-ups. We deeply understand the unique challenges these businesses face, and we are here to help them overcome those challenges and reach their goals.
Talk to A Farmington Hills, MI Business Law Attorney Today
Part of our commitment to making Farmington Hills, MI, a great place to do business is providing high-quality legal services at affordable rates. We understand that businesses need to be able to budget for their legal expenses, and we will work with you to find a fair and reasonable rate.
If you need help with any aspect of business law, please do not hesitate to contact us. We would be more than happy to discuss your case with you and answer any questions that you have.