Send Us A Message
Farmington Hills, MI Probate and Estate Planning Law Firm
Your search for a Farmington Hills, Michigan probate and estate planning law firm ends with the Murphy Law Firm.
Whether you need assistance with drafting a will or trust, or you are dealing with the probate of a loved one’s estate, we can help. We understand the complexities of the probate process, and we will work to ensure that your rights are protected every step of the way.
We also have experience handling contested probate matters, such as will contests and trust disputes. If you are facing a legal dispute over a loved one’s estate, we will aggressively advocate on your behalf to protect your interests.
Talk to us today to learn more about how we can help with your probate or estate planning needs. We offer a free initial consultation to all new clients.
Understanding Probate Law in Michigan
Probate is the legal process of settling a deceased person’s estate. In Michigan, the probate process starts with filing a petition with the probate court in the county where the decedent lived. The petition starts the probate case and must be served on all interested parties, including the personal representative (executor) named in the decedent’s will, if there is one. If there is no will, Michigan law sets forth an order of priority for who will serve as the personal representative.
The personal representative is responsible for collecting the decedent’s assets, paying debts and taxes, and distributing the remaining estate to beneficiaries. The personal representative has a fiduciary duty to administer the estate in a manner that is in the best interests of the beneficiaries. The probate court oversees the administration of the estate and has the authority to resolve any disputes that may arise.
Estate planning in Michigan
Estate planning is the process of creating a plan for how your property will be managed and distributed after your death. An estate plan can range from a simple will to a complex trust arrangement. The key is to create a plan that meets your unique needs and goals.
If you have assets you want to pass on to your beneficiaries, it is important to have a plan. Without a plan, your assets will be subject to probate and may not be distributed the way you want.
Creating a comprehensive estate plan can also help you avoid potential disputes among your family members. If your estate plan is clear and concise, it can minimize the chances of a dispute arising.
Trust Administration in Michigan
If you are the trustee of a trust, you have a fiduciary duty to administer the trust in a manner that is in the best interests of the beneficiaries. This means that you must take care of the trust property and ensure that it is used for the benefit of the beneficiaries. You must also keep the beneficiaries informed about the administration of the trust.
The Michigan Trust Code sets forth the rules for trust administration. The Code sets forth the duties of a trustee and establishes standards for how a trustee must administer a trust. The Code also provides procedures for resolving disputes among trustees and beneficiaries.
Why Do You Need A Probate Attorney?
The probate process can be complex and confusing. If you are named as the personal representative in a will, or if you are dealing with the estate of a loved one, it is important to have an experienced probate attorney on your side. This is because:
- A probate attorney can help you navigate the probate process and ensure that the estate is administered properly.
- A probate attorney can represent you in court if any disputes arise during the probate process.
- A probate attorney can help you understand your rights and obligations as the personal representative of an estate.
- A probate attorney can help you avoid potential pitfalls in the probate process.
If you are named as the personal representative of an estate, or if you are dealing with the estate of a loved one, contact us today to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced probate attorneys.
Our Probate and Estate Planning Services in Farmington Hills, Michigan
The Murphy Law Firm provides a wide range of probate and estate planning services in Farmington Hills, Michigan. We can help you with all aspects of the probate process, including:
- Filing a petition with the probate court: From start to finish, our office can help you with the probate process. We will file the necessary paperwork with the court and represent you in any hearings that may be required.
- Identifying and inventorying estate assets: Our office can help you identify and inventory all of the decedent’s assets. This is an important step in the probate process, as all assets must be accounted for and valued.
- Notifying creditors: Once the estate is open, creditors have a limited time to file claims against the estate. Our office can help you notify creditors of the estate and resolve any claims that are filed.
- Distributing estate assets: After all debts and expenses have been paid, our office can help you distribute the remaining assets to the beneficiaries. We will prepare all the necessary paperwork and ensure that the assets are distributed per the decedent’s wishes.
- Closing the estate: Once all assets have been distributed, our office can help you close the estate. We will file the necessary paperwork with the court and ensure that the estate is closed promptly.
- Representation in probate litigation: Our office can represent you in court if any disputes arise during the probate process. We have experience handling all types of probate litigation, and we will fight to protect your interests.
- Estate planning: Our office can help you plan for the future with a comprehensive estate plan. We will help you choose the right tools for your unique situation and ensure that your assets are protected.
- Trust administration: If you are named as the trustee of a trust, our office can help you with the administration of the trust. We will help you comply with the terms of the trust and ensure that the beneficiaries are properly informed.
- Will contests: Our office can represent you in court if someone challenges the validity of a will. We will investigate the claim and take appropriate action to protect the decedent’s wishes.
- Probate avoidance: Our office can help you avoid the probate process altogether with proper estate planning. We will help you choose the right tools for your situation, and we will make sure that your assets are protected.
- Asset protection: Our office can help you protect your assets from creditors, lawsuits, and nursing home expenses. We will help you choose the right tools for your situation, and we will make sure that your assets are properly protected.
- Business succession planning: As a business owner, you need to plan for the future of your business. Our office can help you choose the right tools for your situation, and we will make sure that your business is properly protected.
- Real estate: As a real estate owner, you need to plan for the future of your property. We can help you choose the right tools for your situation, and we will make sure that your property is properly protected.
Can’t find what you’re looking for? We probably do it, but we just haven’t listed it here. Don’t hesitate to contact us to inquire about our services. We would be happy to help you in any way that we can.
Representing the People of Michigan in Litigated Disputes
Probate and estate litigation form a big part of our practice at the Murphy Law Firm, and we have represented many clients in these types of disputes.
Probate litigation can arise for several reasons, including, but not limited to, will contests, challenges to administering an estate, or disagreements among beneficiaries. Our office has the experience and knowledge necessary to handle all types of probate litigation, and we will fight to protect your interests.
We Are Trusted Local Professionals in Probate Law
We have built a reputation as a go-to law firm for probate law in the Farmington Hills, MI, area. We pride ourselves on providing quality legal services to our clients and are dedicated to getting the best results possible.
Our focus on probate law in the locality means that we are up-to-date on the latest changes in the law, and we can provide you with the most current information and advice. We also understand the emotional toll that probate litigation can take on our clients, and we will do everything we can to make the process as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Contact Our Michigan Probate Attorney Today
If you are involved in a probate dispute or need help with any other legal matter, we encourage you to contact us today. We offer a free initial consultation and would be happy to answer your questions and discuss your options. Call us or contact us online to schedule an appointment.